9.26.2006

"At the age of 15 I took a job at the local public library as a book shelving page where my 'stereotypical librarian' boss ruled the roost. She had long braided grey hair and over-the-nose rimmed glasses to boot. She never worked the circulation desk or ever shelved books, but spent most of her days hunched over the typewriter cranking out catalog cards. I think she spoke to me maybe three dozen or so times during my three years of employment and although she emerged occasionally from her glassed-in office to interact with older patrons, she seemed to care nothing about acknowledging youth.

I'm happy to report that I wasn't jaded by this experience, for as I learned later on, librarians are a pretty engaging and diverse bunch -- even those with braids and glasses. Stereotypical patterns for the most part are gone (thank goodness for that) and what I find emerging in its place is a great group of knowledge facilitators and experts who are friendly, approachable and yes, they even like young people! I'm pretty sure Ms. Patricia would not have approved, but that's OK. The card catalogs are all gone (with good riddance)...Now lets do the same with the ol' stereotype, :) "

Helene
Director of Public Services Technology





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?