9.23.2006


"I asked my husband what he thinks of as 'The Stereotypical Librarian' and he said 'older, hair pulled back, glasses low on the nose, conservative dress, and sensible shoes - black sensible shoes'. I looked in my closet and saw a plethora of colors and prints and not one pair of 'sensible black shoes'. In fact my shoes are almost as colorful as my clothes! I do fit the 'pulled back hair' 'glasses' (but not low on the nose), and the 'older' part, but come on! He has been married to a very colorful librarian for 36 years and this is what he envisions! Good Grief - do I give up now or just bury my head.

The one thing I am not particularly happy about is the relaxed (or as I perceive it less-than-professional) attire of people working in libraries especially the 'professionals'. My feeling is that the more casual our work attire, the less respect the public has for the profession. Do we look like professional people who take pride in our work or do we look like we are just here putting in our time and getting a paycheck? In the next generation what will be the 'stereotypical librarian look'? Khaki pants, T-shirts, jogging suits, casual attire or will there be a new look that will reflect what the fashion mavens declare 'everyone should wear'.

Food for thought or nightmares."

Elaine
Sr. Library Manager





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?