9.25.2006


"I had two stereotypes of librarians growing up. The media taught me that librarians were very skinny 'old maids' sporting buns, glasses, frumpy clothes, and scowling faces. They had a lot of cats. They lived to 'Shush' patrons, especially children, and had what would now be called OCD--obsessive compulsive disorder.

In real life, some of my happiest childhood memories are of going to storytime at the library, and talking with the kind, helpful librarian. I loved the sense of accomplishment I got from returning a stack of books, and the anticipation of walking out with a new stack. The library was a peaceful haven in which to dream, imagine and grow. In the stacks of the library, anything seemed possible.

How am I unlike the stereotype? Well, I'm certainly not very skinny! I'm married with short curly hair, and I don't scowl too often. I don't wear designer fashions, but I try to wear colorful or interesting clothes. I don't shush children, though I speak to those who can't keep it down to a dull roar. And whatever my faults, obsessive organization is not one of them!

I do wear glasses, love books, and enjoy quiet. I have always had cats and adore them. I hope I can be part of helping children treasure the library and their reading experiences just like my childhood librarian (sadly I can't remember her name) did for me. I am blessed with a wonderful department of good examples to follow!"

Pamela
Sr. Library Assistant - Children's Services





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?