9.18.2006


Middle-aged, caucasian, female, dependent on my glasses. . . .yes, in many ways I fit the stereotype for librarians. However I was also all these things when I drove a forklift at a K-Mart distribution warehouse. None of these attributes were chosen, just fate. As Popeye would say "Aye yam what Aye yam!"

I am choosing, however, to become a librarian. Not for the glorious financial compensation, but to finally settle into a profession that I enjoy. I have loved libraries from childhood, beginning with the bookmobile that visited our neighborhood in Raleigh.

I look forward to the day when there are no labels or stereotypes about professions. We should all feel free to try any job we are able to do without worrying about whether we "fit the mold" or not!

Joyce
Sr. Library Assistant, Children's Services





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?