9.23.2006


"The stereotypical librarian is an older woman, usuallly in her late 50's or early 60's. She is always seen sitting behind a mahogany desk, either reading or writing out more card catalog cards. Horn-rimmed glasses, a stern face that never bears a smile, stiff proper clothing and black proper shoes. All this along with a tight , no-nonsense bun at the back of neck and the one sound vocabulary of "SHHHHH!" personifies most people's image of the typical librarian.

I believe that I am a far cry from the stereotypical image of a librarian. I am turning 19 in October. MY usual attire when coming in to work is a pair of faded jeans, tennis shoes, and a fitted tee. I've been known to be somewhat crazy when it comes to working. Playing with the children, joking with the patrons, and having a good time with what I love. Being teased by my coworkers (and teasing them back whenever I can), and always singing while I work. I'm typically always on my feet rushing here, running there and the desks at Harrisburg Public Library are definitely not mahogany. More of a cedar or something like that. The sound, "Shhhhh!" has never left my lips and I couldn't put my hair into a bun if I wanted to."

Cheryl
Library Page





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?