9.25.2006

"The stereotypical librarian is a white older female, tall and thin. She wears glasses, sensible laced shoes, a long dark skirt with a white collared blouse, gray hair up in a knot with a few wisps of hair slightly out of place. Attractive with a bemused smile on her face, she is very erudite and aristocratic. She has never been married, and has no children. At her cozy home her cats and piles of books surround her. She packs her lunch every day, and feeds the birds with the crusts of her sandwich. Her favorite workds are "my dear" and when she says "shhhh!" her glasses slide a bit down her nose because she is looking at you over the top of them while her forehead wrinkles as her eyebrows turn down.

I am a mixture of this stereotypical librarian. I am a white older female, although I am short and average. I wear glasses and sensible shoes without laces. I wear my hair down in a shoulder length style. I have been married and have three children. Yes, I confess to having piles of books in my cozy home, but three dogs live there with me: a beagle, a pointer and a spaniel mix. My 'packed' lunches consist of yogurt, fruit cuts, juice or crackers. An occasional "sweetie" might slip out, and the once or twice a year when I say 'shhhh!' - my glasses definitely do not slip down my nose!

What I have noticed about these stereotlypical librarian descriptions is that most of them include appearances. The best part of being a children's librarian is all the storytelling and read-alouds we get to do! I also love to research and help our borrowers find what they need. It's a joy being around all the children!"

Lynn
Sr. Library Assistant - Children's Services





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?