9.14.2006



"When I think of librarian stereotypes, I think of the movie "It's a Wonderful Life." Without George to marry, Mary Bailey has such a horrible fate that Clarence the Angel doesn't want to tell George that his wife is. . . .the librarian! She's unmarried, she wears glasses and frumpy clothes, her hair is in a bun, and she distrusts strangers. Add shushes a lot and has cats, and make sure the glasses are at the end of her nose, and you've got the stereotypical librarian.

So how am I like this stereotyped picture? I am female, I am unmarried, and I wear glasses. (They do fall down my nose sometimes, but I don't wear them like that all the time.) I'm not particularly fashion conscious, but I'd like to think my clothes aren't frumpy. When I wear my hair back it's almost always in an easy-going ponytail instead of a bun. I do not have cats, I try to be friendly to everyone, and I almost never shush.

What makes me laugh about Mary Bailey is that in the movie, being the town librarian seems like a fate worse than death. For me, it's the best job there is!"

Emily

Youth Services Librarian






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?