9.13.2006



"When people think of a typical librarian, they think of a very prim and proper lady with glasses at the tip of her nose and hair pulled into a bun. This woman has no sense of style and goes around telling people to be quiet all day. She is usually Caucasian and older.

I am not like the typical librarian. I am young, African American and very relaxed. I listen to hip-hop and watch music videos, and do all of the things of "Generation X". However, I love to learn and read, and I enjoy providing information. I believe that it is extremely important to have a variety of individuals that work in the library to show children that yes, you can be a librarian or library worker, and still be cool! This is a cool job after all.

Because I am not what one considers the typical librarian or library worker, at times I do encounter challenges with the public. I have been questioned about my authority and whether or not I know what I am talking about. Others say, "You work in a library, I can't believe that." Well believe it! I plan to stay in this field and set an example for young African American children, so they will know that there are a number of opportunities in this field and they are open to them if they desire."

Vivian

Sr. Library Assistant, Children's Services






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?